This section of our site was started in January of 2019. Previous minutes are on record with the Secretary. The Minutes shown here are in unapproved form so see subsequent minutes for official changes.
Annual General Meeting, March 5, 2019
Tusket Falls Brewing Company
Present: Anna Mallin, Sue Hutchins, Karlyn d’Entremont, Pat Ormston, Nicola Roberts-Fenton, Anson d’Entremont, Dan Earle, Karen Cottreau, Roger Newell, Nancy Lakusta, Ginny Smith, Andy Smith, Elaine Howatt, Marcie Wallace, LeeKeating, Sue Johnson, Eko Raharjo, Ayu Raharjo, Sandra Phinney, Barrie MacGregor and Will Poole.
Sandra Phinney, President, chaired the meeting.
- Review Agenda: Elaine Howatt asked for a time to update members on the Shelburne Kayak Festival. Agreed.
- Minutes of the last AGM: It was moved by Ginny Smith, seconded by Sue Hutchins and carried that the minutes of the last AGM be approved as distributed.
- Treasurer’s Report: Dan Earle presented the financial report to members.
Balance forward: $ 890.54
INCOME from dues $ 540.00
EXPENSES bank fees $15; Spot $100.00 $ 115.00
CLOSING BALANCE $1315.54
It was moved by Dan Earle, seconded by Roger Newell and carried that the financial report be approved as presented.
- Member Reports: Elaine Howatt gave a verbal report on the upcoming Shelburne Kayak Festival. Sue Johnson and Anson d’Entremont are new festival board members. The festival will feature Level 1 and basic training. It was suggested that recognition of Robbie Smith (Shelburne musician recently deceased) be made part of the festival.
- Old Business: The first Tuesday of the month dinners will continue at 6 PM. Locations to be announced for each occasion. Dinners will run from November to April. April will feature a presentation by Will Poole on his adventures in the Tobeatic and restoration of one of the warden’s cabins.
For the past couple of years Will Poole has made his Spot available to Southwest Paddler members with financial support from the Association. The unit is not longer reliable. The executive is currently looking into securing sponsorship and association support for the purchase of a Garmin In Reach as a replacement device. Several members have volunteered to help defray the costs.
Sandra reported that she would not be available to coordinate the customary August holiday week end paddle from Quinan to Canaan. Kalyn d’Entremont agreed to take on this role.
- New Business: Individual grants of $75 have been approved by the executive for 4 members taking the wilderness first aid course this spring.
Southwest Paddlers will have a table at the Yarmouth Market on April 20th. Volunteers from the membership will be recruited closer to the time. 9 AM until 1 PM is the time that has to be covered. The purpose is to showcase and promote paddling.
- Election of Officers: It was moved by Ginny Smith, seconded by Lee Keating and carried that the following serve as the officers of the association for the coming year.
President: Sandra Phinney
Vice President: Sue Hutchins
Treasurer: Dan Earle
Secretary: Barrie MacGregor
Member at large: Elaine Howatt.
Next General Meeting: October 1st, 2019 – location to be announced
Next dinner meeting: April 2nd, 2019-03-06
The meeting was adjourned and followed by a presentation by Anna Mallin on her kayaking adventure to Antarctica.
Executive Meeting, January 21, 2019
Present: Sandra Phinney, Dan Earle, Sue Hutchins, Elaine Howatt and Barrie MacGregor
- Brief History: The history of the SW Paddlers was outlined by some of the long standing members.
- Public Comments: It was agreed that any comments made on behalf of the association would require the consensus of the executive.
- Informal Training: There was some discussion regarding the possibility of some informal training. Canoe – Marcel Comeau, Kayak – Anna Mallin.
- Agenda for future meetings: It was generally agreed that future meetings (starting in March) would include a presentation on canoeing or kayaking after dinner. As well, locations may vary. e.g. such as Anchored Grounds; Tusket Brewing Co. etc.
- Voyageur Canoe: Sandra reported that Canoe/Kayak NS had purchased a Voyageur canoe. A training session (and possibly a loan of the boat) could be set up in Southwest NS if there was enough interest.
- Professional Services: It was agreed that for our last gathering in May we could invite professional trainers and/or providers of paddling programs/services in the area. Matt Dulong, Becky Cottreau, Nancy Lacusta, Hantford Lewis. Also reps from Kayaking symposium and the Shelburne kayaking festival.
- Next Dinner Meeting: Elaine agreed to look into Marco’s as potential for the next dinner meeting in February.
- Public Information: It was agreed that a display be prepared for the Market on a Saturday in April.
Next gathering Feb 5th at 6:00 PM at location to be announced.