Print and send.
ADDRESS is: SW Paddlers, c/o Dan Earle, 97 Chebogue Point Road, Rockville NS, B5A 5E8. Make cheque out to Southwest Paddlers Association. OR you may e-transfer $15 dues to [email protected] who will process them to SW Paddle account.
re: benefits … your $15 membership goes a long way ~
- We subsidize the costs of members taking Wilderness First Aid courses by contributing $75 towards registration (paid to member after course completed.) Courses span 3 days and cost $250. Check here for upcoming courses. http://adventureandsafety.ca/wilderness-first-aid/
- The association has a Garmin InREach that is available for members to use on wilderness trips (we ask for a $20 donation per person on the trip to offset annual costs of subscription)
- We also have a Bothy Bag (think parachute tent that can quickly provide protection from wind, rain etc. on shore) that’s free for members to take along on a trip.
- Training: although COVID has interfered with our plans, we are working on water safety programs e.g., wet exits for kayakers; Big Boat training (Voyageur canoe) etc.
- Public Education: in the past we’ve hosted public programs at the Museum and Farmer’s Market in Yarmouth to let people know what resources we have in the region (outfitters etc.)
- We host a FB page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/201129713331842 This is open to anyone and not closed to our SWPA membership. By the way, we are around 70 members in SWPA. We have 429 “friends” on FB.
- We have a website. Needs to be updated. http://www.southwestpaddlers.com/ We also plan to have a buy/sell slot there for members to buy/sell paddling/camping gear, boats etc.
- We promote an annual day trip from Quinan to Canaan on the Tusket River. First Sat in August. Suitable for all kinds of water craft. Easy 3-4 hours + picnic together. Much fun.
- Networking with other paddlers is HUGE. Great way to meet new friends, line up a trip or two, exchange ideas and paddling tips etc.
- We had planned a beach clean up last spring but was postponed due to COVID. Hope to resume this year.
- From Oct. to March we have monthly meetings the first Tuesday of the month. Before COVID we mete in person and had dinner together in various places. Now we gave Zoom meetings. Members give slide presentations of trips or building a boat or history related to paddling etc. Always educational and fun.