1. Shout out to Christopher Lockyer who has set up a FREE Zoom workshop for SWPA members on Tuesday April 21st from 7-8:30 p.m. Christopher says the outcomes for the program are to: bring the paddling community together in these challenging times; look at a framework for planning paddling trips; gain confidence looking at route planning; and become a safer paddler.
- This session is for SWPA members only
- Registration is required as the session is limited to 20 people. Register here: https://www.committed2thecore.com/product/swpaddler/ If there is a waiting list, he will run another program on April 27th
- If you are not signed up with Zoom, it’s simple (and free). Go here: https://zoom.us/
2. Andrew “Andy” Smith is now paddling in the next world. As most of you know, Andy passed away March 20th. He was a co-founder of Southwest Paddlers Association back in 1999, and the author of Paddling In The Tobeatic which remains a classic (Nimbus). Ginny tells us that a memorial will be held for Andy in 2021 when family members and friends are able to travel. SWPA and TREPA will be arranging for a plaque to be installed in Andy’s memory, on one of the many river systems he especially loved, per the family’s recommendation.
3. Paddling during COVID-19. As recorded in the minutes from Executive meeting held April 7, 2019:
It was moved by Dan, seconded by Barrie and carried unanimously that the South West Paddlers Association supports the province’s guidelines and encourages all members to do so.
4. Ods & Sods
- AGM is on hold.
- Wet Exit kayaking course at the YMCA on hold