What’s new with Southwest Paddlers Association
Hi Fellow Paddle Sport Participant:
The executive group met at Sip on January 21 to review and come up with ideas for better serving our paddling community.
1. We have revised our monthly meeting plans to use different restaurant venues AND have presentations at each meeting. Location and topics will be announced. This approach will give us more variety of food choices and give us all a better appreciation of paddling opportunities and adventures in our region. We are looking at places like Anchored Grounds and the Tusket Brewery for a start.
2. We discussed the topic of informal information sessions using knowledge of members in canoe and kayak skills and the relatively new paddle board. A chance to improve skills or try something new – maybe even a Voyaguer canoe.
3. We are looking at a Spring Splash-up meeting in May with presentations by trainers and local program/services providers. Each would have about 10 minutes to go over their sport segment – canoeing, kayaking, paddle board, trip opportunities, symposiums and festivals, etc.
4. We want to do a display and promotion at the Yarmouth Farmer’s Market in April to introduce new people to the paddling community.
Details of all above will be coming along so stay in touch on Facebook and our web page.
Minutes of the meeting follow.
South West PaddlersExecutive Meeting January 21, 2019 Sip Coffee Shop
Present: Sandra Phinney, Dan Earle, Sue Hutchins, Elaine Howatt and Barrie MacGregor
- Brief History: The history of the SW Paddlers was outlined by some of the long standing members.
- Public Comments: It was agreed that any comments made on behalf of the association would require the consensus of the executive.
- Informal Training: There was some discussion regarding the possibility of some informal training. Canoe – Marcel Comeau, Kayak – Anna Mallin.
- Agenda for future meetings: It was generally agreed that future meetings (starting in March) would include a presentation on canoeing or kayaking after dinner. As well, locations may vary. e.g. such as Anchored Grounds; Tusket Brewing Co. etc.
- Voyageur Canoe: Sandra reported that Canoe/Kayak NS had purchased a Voyageur canoe. A training session (and possibly a loan of the boat) could be set up in Southwest NS if there was enough interest.
- Professional Services: It was agreed that for our last gathering in May we could invite professional trainers and/or providers of paddling programs/services in the area. Matt Dulong, Becky Cottreau, Nancy Lacusta, Hantford Lewis. Also reps from Kayaking symposium and the Shelburne kayaking festival.
- Next Dinner Meeting: Elaine agreed to look into Marco’s as potential for the next dinner meeting in February.
- Public Information: It was agreed that a display be prepared for the Market on a Saturday in April.
Next gathering Feb 5th at 6:00 PM at location to be announced.
To become a Member please see the Membership Page in the masthead listing.